"Wings" Mixed-Media Pendant & Ring
Sharing another project as part of National Craft Month! Beautiful image sheets I received from B-Muse inspired this matching pendent and ring set I originally designed for Rubber Road Adventures ezine (http://rubberroadadventures.ning.com/page/wings-pendant-and-ring) . As I love to “mix things up a bit” as often as possible, I combined portions of images from separate sheets to come up with the unique image on the pendent. Then I let my mad scientist muse loose to dabble with clay, paints, beads, epoxy.....
B-Muse Butterfly Wings – 2 CS-BW2 image sheet and
Vintage Cat Ads – CS-VCA image sheet
White Makin’s Clay ®
and Makin's Clay ® Cutters, square and rectangle
Krylon Silver Metallic spray paint
JudiKins Soleil Sunlight Curing Epoxy
Silver findings (unknown brands)
Elmer’s Craft Bond Adhesive
Darice black glass bugle beads
We R Memory Keepers Cropodile Punch
Westcott Titanium Bonded Non-Stick Scissors
- Roll out white Makin’s Clay ® to approximately 1/8” thickness. Use clay cutters to cut one 1 ½” square, and one 1” long rectangle (or cut to appropriate sizes to fit your ring blank, desired pendent size, etc.) Let dry (12-24 hours).
- Place dry Makin’s Clay ® square and rectangle onto newspaper or scrap paper in well ventilated area. Spray with Krylon Silver Metallic paint. Let dry.
- Select cat image from Vintage Cat Ads sheet and carefully cut out. Select wings from Butterfly Wings sheet and cut out 3 wings. Arrange cat and wings as desired on silver clay square and single side of wings onto rectangular silver clay square. Use a small amount of Elmer’s Craft Bond adhesive to mount.
- Use adhesive to mount rectangular piece in ring blank.
- Use adhesive to mount a row of black bugle beads around inside edges of ring and outside top edges of pendent. Let dry.
- Arrange ring and pendent on flat surface in sunlight. (Tip: use a paper or Styrofoam cup with a hole cut in the bottom for the ring – slip the back of the ring through the hole and it will lie flat for the next step). Fill remaining inside area of ring with Sunlight Curing Epoxy. Fill area inside bead edge on pendant with Sunlight Curing Epoxy. Any bubbles can be popped using a pin before epoxy is dry. Let dry according to manufacturer directions.
- Use Cropodile punch to punch hole in top of pendent. Add jewelry findings.