Southwestern Etched Wine Glass Mini Succulent Planter


These mini succulent gardens would be fun little gift for a wine lover, or even great little party favors.  Etch the bride & groom’s names and wedding date, or change the design however you want.  For this one I chose a Southwestern theme. 

Materials:

etchall® Creme
etchall® etchmask™ Stencil ComboPak
etchall® Squeegee 
etchall® pick tool 
Elecronic die cutting machine (or stencil, or clip art to trace) 
Scissors 
Wine glass 
Sand
Succulent (real or faux... you can get great faux ones in the Dollar Tree!) 

Optional:

Polymer clay - premo! Sculpey® Silver, faux “turquoise” 
Suede cording 
Judikins Diamond Glaze™
Southwestern themed stamp 
Clay roller 
Oval clay cutters


Instructions:

To create the lizard images you have a few options.  I used clip art, edited on my computer to remove the background, sized to about 2” across, and cut  with an electronic die cutting machine using etchmask.   But, you could also use a stencil to trace and cut out the images, or even print the clip art and trace it onto the etchmask and then cut them out.   


Once my die cut versions were ready, I used the pick tool to remove the lizards - we are working with the negative space for this project. 

Cut around the lizards leaving about 3/4" space around the images and carefully mount onto the top area of the wine glass, allowing the top of the etchmask to wrap down over the edge of the glass (to the inside).  I put them on opposite sides of the glass.  Be sure they are adhered well and all edges around the image itself are held tight to the glass.


Apply a thick coat of etchall creme.   Carefully rotate glass and apply cream to the image
on the opposite side.  Turn glass over on scrap paper and let set 15 minutes.  (Tip - wrpaping the etchmask over the top edge ensures that any cream that may drip downard does not etch the rim of the glass. )

 

Return creme to bottle, etchall is re-usable! 

Wash glass and remove etchmask.  Let dry. 

Add small succlent to glass and fill around roots with sand.   







I chose to further embellish my little “Southwestern” garden with a faux turqouise wine glass charm.  For instructions on how I first created the faux turquoise center stone - view this awesome tutorial on the Jessama Tutorials YouTube channel.   

For the base, I rolled silver clay, stamped it with an uninked stamp to add a Southwestern pattern, and cut an oval a bit larger than my faux turquoise cabochon.   



Then, this was flipped over and the faux turquoise stone was added to the flat slide.  I rolled a thin strand of silver clay and wrapped it around the cabochon and then used the flat edge of a clay tool to make small indentations around the edge to create a pattern. 


I made a hole at the center top large enough for the suede cording.   I baked it according to manufacturer instructions and let cool.   

Then, I applied a coat of Diamond Glaze to the cabochon itself.  Once it was dry, I strung it onto suede cording and tied it to the stem of the glass. 





Comments

Popular Posts